6. Klotzbuecher CM, Ross PD, Landsman PB, et al. (2000) Patients with prior fractures have an increased risk of future fractures: a summary of the literature and statistical synthesis. J Bone Miner Res 15:721.
9. Cummings SR and Melton LJ (2002) Epidemiology and outcomes of osteoporotic fractures. Lancet 359:1761.
17. Hasserius R, Karlsson MK, Nilsson BE, et al. (2003) Prevalent vertebral deformities predict increased mortality and increased fracture rate in both men and women: a 10-year population-based study of 598 individuals from the Swedish cohort in the European Vertebral Osteoporosis Study. Osteoporos Int 14:61.
20. Haentjens P, Johnell O, Kanis JA, et al. (2004) Evidence from data searches and life-table analyses for gender-related differences in absolute risk of hip fracture after Colles' or spine fracture: Colles' fracture as an early and sensitive marker of skeletal fragility in white men. J Bone Miner Res 19:1933.
21. Kanis JA, Johnell O, Oden A, et al. (2004) Epidemiology of osteoporosis and fracture in men. Calcif Tissue Int
22. Eastell R, Boyle IT, Compston J, et al. (1998) Management of male osteoporosis: report of the UK Consensus Group. Qjm 91:71.
23. Jordan KM and Cooper C (2002) Epidemiology of osteoporosis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 16:795.
24. Cooper C, Campion G, Melton LJ, 3rd (1992) Hip fractures in the elderly: a world-wide projection. Osteoporos Int 2:285.
25. Keene GS, Parker MJ, Pryor GA (1993) Mortality and morbidity after hip fractures. BMJ 307:1248.
26. Autier P, Haentjens P, Bentin J, et al. (2000) Costs induced by hip fractures: a prospective controlled study in Belgium. Belgian Hip Fracture Study Group. Osteoporos Int 11:373.
27. Cree M, Soskolne CL, Belseck E, et al. (2000) Mortality and institutionalization following hip fracture. J Am
Geriatr Soc 48:283.
28. Kiebzak GM, Beinart GA, Perser K, et al. (2002) Undertreatment of osteoporosis in men with hip fracture. Arch Intern Med 162:2217.
29. Reginster JY, Gillet P, Ben Sedrine W, et al. (1999) Direct costs of hip fractures in patients over 60 years of age in Belgium. Pharmacoeconomics 15:507.
30. Cummings SR, Black DM, Rubin SM (1989) Lifetime risks of hip, Colles', or vertebral fracture and coronary heart disease among white postmenopausal women. Arch Intern Med 149:2445.
31. Cooper C, Atkinson EJ, Jacobsen SJ, et al. (1993) Population-based study of survival after osteoporotic fractures. Am J Epidemiol 137:1001.
32. Leibson CL, Tosteson AN, Gabriel SE, et al. (2002) Mortality, disability, and nursing home use for persons with and without hip fracture: a population-based study. J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1644.
33. Magaziner J, Lydick E, Hawkes W, et al. (1997) Excess mortality attributable to hip fracture in white women aged 70 years and older. Am J Public Health 87:1630.
34. Magaziner J, Simonsick EM, Kashner TM, et al. (1990) Predictors of functional recovery one year following hospital discharge for hip fracture: a prospective study. J Gerontol 45:M101.
35. Riggs BL and Melton LJ, 3rd (1995) The worldwide problem of osteoporosis: insights afforded by epidemiology. Bone 17:505S.
36. Kannus P, Parkkari J, Niemi S, Palvanen M (1996) Epidemiology of osteoporotic ankle fractures in elderly persons in Finland. Ann Intern Med 125:975.
37. Kanis JA, Johnell O, De Laet C, et al. (2002) International variations in hip fracture probabilities: implications for risk assessment. J Bone Miner Res 17:1237.
38. Lindsay R, Silverman SL, Cooper C, et al. (2001) Risk of new vertebral fracture in the year following a fracture. JAMA 285:320.
39. Ross PD, Davis JW, Epstein RS, Wasnich RD (1991) Pre-existing fractures and bone mass predict vertebral fracture incidence in women. Ann Intern Med 114:919.
40. Black DM, Arden NK, Palermo L, et al. (1999) Prevalent vertebral deformities predict hip fractures and new vertebral deformities but not wrist fractures. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. J Bone Miner Res 14:821.
41. Kaptoge S, Armbrecht G, Felsenberg D, et al. (2004) When should the doctor order a spine X-ray? Identifying vertebral fractures for osteoporosis care: results from the European Prospective Osteoporosis Study (EPOS). J Bone Miner Res 19:1982.
42. Nevitt MC, Ettinger B, Black DM, et al. (1998) The association of radiographically detected vertebral fractures with back pain and function: a prospective study. Ann Intern Med 128:793.
43. Lips P, Cooper C, Agnusdei D, et al. (1999) Quality of life in patients with vertebral fractures: validation of the Quality of Life Questionnaire of the European Foundation for Osteoporosis (QUALEFFO). Working Party for Quality of Life of the European Foundation for Osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 10:150.
44. Pluijm SM, Dik MG, Jonker C, et al. (2002) Effects of gender and age on the association of apolipoprotein Eepsilon4 with bone mineral density, bone turnover and the risk of fractures in older people. Osteoporos Int 13:701.
45. Gold DT (2001) The nonskeletal consequences of osteoporotic fractures. Psychologic and social outcomes. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 27:255.
46. Robbins J, Hirsch C, Whitmer R, et al. (2001) The association of bone mineral density and depression in an older population. J Am Geriatr Soc 49:732.
47. Lyles KW (2001) Osteoporosis and depression: shedding more light upon a complex relationship. J Am Geriatr Soc 49:827.
48. Tosteson AN, Gabriel SE, Grove MR, et al. (2001) Impact of hip and vertebral fractures on quality-adjusted life years. Osteoporos Int 12:1042.
49. Hall SE, Criddle RA, Comito TL, Prince RL (1999) A case-control study of quality of life and functional impairment in women with long-standing vertebral osteoporotic fracture. Osteoporos Int 9:508.
50. Adachi JD, Ioannidis G, Olszynski WP, et al. (2002) The impact of incident vertebral and non-vertebral fractures on health related quality of life in postmenopausal women. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 3:11.
51. Johnell O, Oden A, Caulin F, Kanis JA (2001) Acute and long-term increase in fracture risk after hospitalization for vertebral fracture. Osteoporos Int 12:207.
52. Cooper C, Atkinson EJ, O'Fallon WM, Melton LJ, 3rd (1992) Incidence of clinically diagnosed vertebral fractures: a population-based study in Rochester, Minnesota, 1985-1989. J Bone Miner Res 7:221.
53. Delmas PD, van de Langerijt L, Watts NB, et al. (2005) Underdiagnosis of vertebral fractures is a worldwide problem: the IMPACT study. J Bone Miner Res 20:557.
54. O'Neill TW, Felsenberg D, Varlow J, et al. (1996) The prevalence of vertebral deformity in european men and women: the European Vertebral Osteoporosis Study. J Bone Miner Res 11:1010.
55. Davies KM, Stegman MR, Heaney RP, Recker RR (1996) Prevalence and severity of vertebral fracture: the Saunders County Bone Quality Study. Osteoporos Int 6:160.
56. Siris ES, Chen YT, Abbott TA, et al. (2004) Bone mineral density thresholds for pharmacological intervention to prevent fractures. Arch Intern Med 164:1108.
57. Pocock NA, Eisman JA, Hopper JL, et al. (1987) Genetic determinants of bone mass in adults. A twin study. J Clin Invest 80:706.
58. Seeman E, Hopper JL, Bach LA, et al. (1989) Reduced bone mass in daughters of women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 320:554.
59. Kanis JA, Johansson H, Oden A, et al. (2004) A family history of fracture and fracture risk: a meta-analysis. Bone 35:1029.
60. Cooper C, Cawley M, Bhalla A, et al. (1995) Childhood growth, physical activity, and peak bone mass in women. J Bone Miner Res 10:940.
61. Duppe H, Cooper C, Gardsell P, Johnell O (1997) The relationship between childhood growth, bone mass, and muscle strength in male and female adolescents. Calcif Tissue Int 60:405.
62. Cooper C, Fall C, Egger P, et al. (1997) Growth in infancy and bone mass in later life. Ann Rheum Dis 56:17.
63. Nguyen TV, Kelly PJ, Sambrook PN, et al. (1994) Lifestyle factors and bone density in the elderly: implications for osteoporosis prevention. J Bone Miner Res 9:1339.
64. Ward KD and Klesges RC (2001) A meta-analysis of the effects of cigarette smoking on bone mineral density. Calcif Tissue Int 68:259.
65. Law MR and Hackshaw AK (1997) A meta-analysis of cigarette smoking, bone mineral density and risk of hip fracture: recognition of a major effect. BMJ 315:841.
66. Kanis JA, Johnell O, Oden A, et al. (2005) Smoking and fracture risk: a meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int 16:155.
67. Kanis JA, Johansson H, Johnell O, et al. (2005) Alcohol intake as a risk factor for fracture. Osteoporos Int 16:737.
68. Felson DT, Kiel DP, Anderson JJ, Kannel WB (1988) Alcohol consumption and hip fractures: the Framingham
Study. Am J Epidemiol 128:1102.
69. Reid IR (1997) Glucocorticoid osteoporosis - mechanisms and management. Eur J Endocrinol 137:209.
70. Adachi JD (1997) Corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. Am J Med Sci 313:41.
71. Ensrud KE, Cauley J, Lipschutz R, Cummings SR (1997) Weight change and fractures in older women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Arch Intern Med 157:857.
72. Ensrud KE, Ewing SK, Stone KL, et al. (2003) Intentional and unintentional weight loss increase bone loss and hip fracture risk in older women. J Am Geriatr Soc 51:1740.
73. Farmer ME, Harris T, Madans JH, et al. (1989) Anthropometric indicators and hip fracture. The NHANES I
epidemiologic follow-up study. J Am Geriatr Soc 37:9.
74. Bainbridge KE, Sowers M, Lin X, Harlow SD (2004) Risk factors for low bone mineral density and the 6-year rate of bone loss among premenopausal and perimenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 15:439.
75. Warren MP (1999) Health issues for women athletes: exercise-induced amenorrhea. J Clin Endocrinol
76. Tinetti ME (2003) Clinical practice. Preventing falls in elderly persons. N Engl J Med 348:42.
77. Nevitt MC, Cummings SR, Hudes ES (1991) Risk factors for injurious falls: a prospective study. J Gerontol 46:M164.
78. Dargent-Molina P, Favier F, Grandjean H, et al. (1996) Fall-related factors and risk of hip fracture: the EPIDOS prospective study. Lancet 348:145.
79. Cummings SR, Nevitt MC, Browner WS, et al. (1995) Risk factors for hip fracture in white women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. N Engl J Med 332:767.
80. Kanis JA, Burlet N, Cooper C, et al. (2008) European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 19:399.
81. Kanis JA, Borgstrom F, Zethraeus N, et al. (2005) Intervention thresholds for osteoporosis in the UK. Bone 36:22.
82. Lindsay R, Burge RT, Strauss DM (2005) One year outcomes and costs following a vertebral fracture. Osteoporos Int 16:78.
83. Lindsay R, Pack S, Li Z (2005) Longitudinal progression of fracture prevalence through a population of postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 16:306.
84. Freedman KB, Kaplan FS, Bilker WB, et al. (2000) Treatment of osteoporosis: are physicians missing an opportunity? J Bone Joint Surg Am 82-A:1063.
85. Siris ES, Miller PD, Barrett-Connor E, et al. (2001) Identification and fracture outcomes of undiagnosed low bone mineral density in postmenopausal women: results from the National Osteoporosis Risk Assessment. JAMA 286:2815.
86. Nguyen TV, Center JR, Eisman JA (2004) Osteoporosis: underrated, underdiagnosed and undertreated. Med J Aust 180:S18.
87. McCombs JS, Thiebaud P, McLaughlin-Miley C, Shi J (2004) Compliance with drug therapies for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis. Maturitas 48:271.
88. Bass S, Pearce G, Bradney M, et al. (1998) Exercise before puberty may confer residual benefits in bone density in adulthood: studies in active prepubertal and retired female gymnasts. J Bone Miner Res 13:500.
89. Bass SL, Saxon L, Daly RM, et al. (2002) The effect of mechanical loading on the size and shape of bone in pre-, peri-, and postpubertal girls: a study in tennis players. J Bone Miner Res 17:2274.
90. Kannus P, Haapasalo H, Sankelo M, et al. (1995) Effect of starting age of physical activity on bone mass in the dominant arm of tennis and squash players. Ann Intern Med 123:27.
91. Khan K, McKay HA, Haapasalo H, et al. (2000) Does childhood and adolescence provide a unique opportunity for exercise to strengthen the skeleton? J Sci Med Sport 3:150.
92. Janz KF, Burns TL, Levy SM, et al. (2004) Everyday activity predicts bone geometry in children: the iowa bone development study. Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:1124.
93. Gregg EW, Cauley JA, Seeley DG, et al. (1998) Physical activity and osteoporotic fracture risk in older women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Ann Intern Med 129:81.
94. Feskanich D, Willett W, Colditz G (2002) Walking and leisure-time activity and risk of hip fracture in postmenopausal women. JAMA 288:2300.
95. Brooke-Wavell K, Jones PR, Hardman AE, et al. (2001) Commencing, continuing and stopping brisk walking: effects on bone mineral density, quantitative ultrasound of bone and markers of bone metabolism in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 12:581.
96. Bonaiuti D, Shea B, Iovine R, et al. (2002) Exercise for preventing and treating osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev:CD000333.
97. Karlsson M (2004) Has exercise an antifracture efficacy in women? Scand J Med Sci Sports 14:2.
98. Province MA, Hadley EC, Hornbrook MC, et al. (1995) The effects of exercise on falls in elderly patients. A preplanned meta-analysis of the FICSIT Trials. Frailty and Injuries: Cooperative Studies of Intervention Techniques. JAMA 273:1341.
99. Carter ND, Kannus P, Khan KM (2001) Exercise in the prevention of falls in older people: a systematic literature review examining the rationale and the evidence. Sports Med 31:427.
100. Robertson MC, Campbell AJ, Gardner MM, Devlin N (2002) Preventing injuries in older people by preventing falls: a meta-analysis of individual-level data. J Am Geriatr Soc 50:905.
101. Karlsson M (2002) Does exercise reduce the burden of fractures? A review. Acta Orthop Scand 73:691.
102. Gregg EW, Pereira MA, Caspersen CJ (2000) Physical activity, falls, and fractures among older adults: a review of the epidemiologic evidence. J Am Geriatr Soc 48:883.
103. Kujala UM, Kaprio J, Kannus P, et al. (2000) Physical activity and osteoporotic hip fracture risk in men. Arch Intern Med 160:705.
104. Itoi E and Sinaki M (1994) Effect of back-strengthening exercise on posture in healthy women 49 to 65 years of age. Mayo Clin Proc 69:1054.
105. Sinaki M and Lynn SG (2002) Reducing the risk of falls through proprioceptive dynamic posture training in osteoporotic women with kyphotic posturing: a randomized pilot study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 81:241.
106. Sinaki M, Itoi E, Wahner HW, et al. (2002) Stronger back muscles reduce the incidence of vertebral fractures: a prospective 10 year follow-up of postmenopausal women. Bone 30:836.
107. Sinaki M (2003) Critical appraisal of physical rehabilitation measures after osteoporotic vertebral fracture. Osteoporos Int 14:773.
108. Preisinger E, Alacamlioglu Y, Pils K, et al. (1995) Therapeutic exercise in the prevention of bone loss. A controlled trial with women after menopause. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 74:120.
109. Hartard M, Haber P, Ilieva D, et al. (1996) Systematic strength training as a model of therapeutic intervention. A controlled trial in postmenopausal women with osteopenia. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 75:21.
110. Kemmler W, Lauber D, Weineck J, et al. (2004) Benefits of 2 years of intense exercise on bone density, physical fitness, and blood lipids in early postmenopausal osteopenic women: results of the Erlangen Fitness Osteoporosis Prevention Study (EFOPS). Arch Intern Med 164:1084.
111. Chan K, Qin L, Lau M, et al. (2004) A randomized, prospective study of the effects of Tai Chi Chun exercise on bone mineral density in postmenopausal women. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:717.
112. Hauer K, Specht N, Schuler M, et al. (2002) Intensive physical training in geriatric patients after severe falls and hip surgery. Age Ageing 31:49.
113. Bonjour JP, Carrie AL, Ferrari S, et al. (1997) Calcium-enriched foods and bone mass growth in prepubertal girls: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Invest 99:1287.
114. Cadogan J, Eastell R, Jones N, Barker ME (1997) Milk intake and bone mineral acquisition in adolescent girls: randomised, controlled intervention trial. Bmj 315:1255.
115. Johnston CC, Jr., Miller JZ, Slemenda CW, et al. (1992) Calcium supplementation and increases in bone mineral density in children. N Engl J Med 327:82.
116. Specker B and Binkley T (2003) Randomized trial of physical activity and calcium supplementation on bone mineral content in 3- to 5-year-old children. J Bone Miner Res 18:885.
117. Shea B, Wells G, Cranney A, et al. (2002) Meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. VII. Meta-analysis of calcium supplementation for the prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Endocr Rev 23:552.
118. Chapuy MC, Arlot ME, Duboeuf F, et al. (1992) Vitamin D3 and calcium to prevent hip fractures in the elderly women. N Engl J Med 327:1637.
119. Chapuy MC, Pamphile R, Paris E, et al. (2002) Combined calcium and vitamin D3 supplementation in elderly women: confirmation of reversal of secondary hyperparathyroidism and hip fracture risk: the Decalyos II study. Osteoporos Int 13:257.
120. Dawson-Hughes B, Harris SS, Krall EA, Dallal GE (1997) Effect of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on bone density in men and women 65 years of age or older. N Engl J Med 337:670.
121. New SA (2004) Do vegetarians have a normal bone mass? Osteoporos Int 15:679.
122. Tucker KL, Hannan MT, Chen H, et al. (1999) Potassium, magnesium, and fruit and vegetable intakes are associated with greater bone mineral density in elderly men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 69:727.
123. Hannan MT, Tucker KL, Dawson-Hughes B, et al. (2000) Effect of dietary protein on bone loss in elderly men and women: the Framingham Osteoporosis Study. J Bone Miner Res 15:2504.
124. Huang Z, Himes JH, McGovern PG (1996) Nutrition and subsequent hip fracture risk among a national cohort of white women. Am J Epidemiol 144:124.
125. Schurch MA, Rizzoli R, Slosman D, et al. (1998) Protein supplements increase serum insulin-like growth factor-I levels and attenuate proximal femur bone loss in patients with recent hip fracture. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 128:801.
126. Delmi M, Rapin CH, Bengoa JM, et al. (1990) Dietary supplementation in elderly patients with fractured neck of the femur. Lancet 335:1013.
127. Tkatch L, Rapin CH, Rizzoli R, et al. (1992) Benefits of oral protein supplementation in elderly patients with fracture of the proximal femur. J Am Coll Nutr 11:519.
128. Soyka LA, Misra M, Frenchman A, et al. (2002) Abnormal bone mineral accrual in adolescent girls with anorexia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4177.
129. Obermayer-Pietsch BM, Bonelli CM, Walter DE, et al. (2004) Genetic predisposition for adult lactose intolerance and relation to diet, bone density, and bone fractures. J Bone Miner Res 19:42.
130.Turner RT (2000) Skeletal response to alcohol. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24:1693.
131. IOF (2001) Osteoporosis in the European Community: A Call to Action.
132. Kanis JA and Johnell O (2005) Requirements for DXA for the management of osteoporosis in Europe. Osteoporos Int 16:229.
133. Melton LJ, 3rd, Gabriel SE, Crowson CS, et al. (2003) Cost-equivalence of different osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporos Int 14:383.
134. Lippuner K, von Overbeck J, Perrelet R, et al. (1997) Incidence and direct medical costs of hospitalizations due to osteoporotic fractures in Switzerland. Osteoporos Int 7:414.
135. Johnell O, Kanis JA, Jonsson B, et al. (2005) The burden of hospitalised fractures in Sweden. Osteoporos
136. Vestergaard P, Rejnmark L, Mosekilde L (2005) Osteoporosis is markedly underdiagnosed: a nationwide study from Denmark. Osteoporos Int 16:134.
137. Melton LJ, 3rd (1995) How many women have osteoporosis now? J Bone Miner Res 10:175.
139. NOF (2002) America's bone health: the state of osteoporosis and low bone mass in our nation.
140. Misra M, Katzman DK, Cord J, et al. (2008) Bone metabolism in adolescent boys with anorexia nervosa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3029.
141. Targownik LE, Lix LM, Metge CJ, et al. (2008) Use of proton pump inhibitors and risk of osteoporosis- related fractures. CMAJ 179:319.
142. Goeree R, O'Brien B, Pettitt D, et al. (1996) An assessment of the burden of illness due to osteoporosis in
Canada. J Soc Obstet Gynaecol Can 18:15.
143. Johnell O (1997) The socioeconomic burden of fractures: today and in the 21st century. Am J Med 103:20S.
144. Pastore K (2000) Futuro Fragil. Pesquisa internacional revela que medicos e pacientes nao sabem tratar a osteoporose. Revista Veja - edicion 1658 (veja.abril.com.br/190700/p_104.html).
145. Arriagada M and Arinoviche R (1997) Densidad mineral osea en Chile. Galenus 9:33.
146. Gomez Garcia F (1998) Morbimortalidad de fracturas de cadera en el Hospital de Traumatologia Magdalena de las Salinas. IMSS. Rev Mex Ortop Traum 2:48.
147. Riera-Espinoza G (2003) Realidad de la osteoporosis en Venezuela. Informe Medico 3:345.
148. Ross PD, Fujiwara S, Huang C, et al. (1995) Vertebral fracture prevalence in women in Hiroshima compared to Caucasians or Japanese in the US. Int J Epidemiol 24:1171.
149. Lau EM, Chan HH, Woo J, et al. (1996) Normal ranges for vertebral height ratios and prevalence of vertebral fracture in Hong Kong Chinese: a comparison with American Caucasians. J Bone Miner Res 11:1364.
150. Iki M, Kagamimori S, Kagawa Y, et al. (2001) Bone mineral density of the spine, hip and distal forearm in representative samples of the Japanese female population: Japanese Population-Based Osteoporosis (JPOS) Study. Osteoporos Int 12:529.
151. Xu L, Lu A, Zhao X, et al. (1996) Very low rates of hip fracture in Beijing, People's Republic of China the
Beijing Osteoporosis Project. Am J Epidemiol 144:901.
152. Zhang L, Cheng A, Bai Z, et al. (2000) Epidemiology of cervical and trochanteric fractures of the proximal femur in 1994 in Tangshan, China. J Bone Miner Metab 18:84.
153. Yan L, Zhou B, Prentice A, et al. (1999) Epidemiological study of hip fracture in Shenyang, People's Republic of China. Bone 24:151.
154. Lau EM (2001) Epidemiology of osteoporosis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 15:335.
155. Lau EM, Cooper C, Fung H, et al. (1999) Hip fracture in Hong Kong over the last decade--a comparison with the UK. J Public Health Med 21:249.
156. Lau EM, Chan YH, Chan M, et al. (2000) Vertebral deformity in chinese men: prevalence, risk factors, bone mineral density, and body composition measurements. Calcif Tissue Int 66:47.
157. Osteoporosis Society of India (2003) Action Plan Osteoporosis: Consensus statement of an expert group. New Delhi
158. Orimo H, Hashimoto T, Sakata K, et al. (2000) Trends in the incidence of hip fracture in Japan, 1987-1997: the third nationwide survey. J Bone Miner Metab 18:126.
159. Rowe SM (2003) An epidemiological study of hip fracture: a comparison between 1991 and 2001. Korean J Bone Metab 10:109.
160. Cho NH (1999) The hip fracture incidence in Korea: utilization of the 1995 National Universal Health Insurance system. Korean J Bone Metab 6:104.
161. Koh LK, Sedrine WB, Torralba TP, et al. (2001) A simple tool to identify asian women at increased risk of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 12:699.
162. Nguyen TV and Eisman JA (1999) Risk factors for low bone mass in elderly men. In: ES Orwoll (ed) Osteoporosis in Men. Academic Press, San Diego, p 335.
163. Sambrook PN, Seeman E, Phillips SR, Ebeling PR (2002) Preventing osteoporosis: outcomes of the Australian Fracture Prevention Summit. Med J Aust 176 Suppl:S1.
164. Melton LJ, Thamer M, Ray NF, et al. (1997) Fractures attributable to osteoporosis: report from the national osteoporosis foundation. J Bone Min Research. 112: 16 – 23.
165. Papadimitropouos EA, Coyte PC, Josse RG, Greenwood CE (1997) Current and projected rates of hip fracture in Canada. Can Med Assoc J 158: 870-71.
166. Jackson SA, Tenenhouse A, Robertson L (2000) Vertebral fracture definition from population-based data: preliminary results from the Canadian Multicenter Osteoporosis Study (CaMos). Osteoporos Int 11:680.
167. Ontario Women’s Health Council. 2000. A Framework and Strategy for the Prevention and Management of Osteoporosis. Ontario Ministry of Health: Toronto.
168. Sornay-Rendu E, Munoz F, Garnero P, et al. (2005) Identification of osteopenic women at high risk of fracture: the OFELY study. J Bone Miner Res 20:1813.
169. Pasco JA, Seeman E, Henry MJ, et al. (2006) The population burden of fractures originates in women with osteopenia, not osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 17:1404.
170. Szulc P, Munoz F, Duboeuf F, et al. (2005) Bone mineral density predicts osteoporotic fractures in elderly men: the MINOS study. Osteoporos Int 16:1184.
171. Madhok R, Melton LJ, 3rd, Atkinson EJ, et al. (1993) Urban vs rural increase in hip fracture incidence. Age and sex of 901 cases 1980-89 in Olmsted County, U.S.A. Acta Orthop Scand 64:543.
172. Schroder HM, Petersen KK, Erlandsen M (1993) Occurrence and incidence of the second hip fracture. Clin Orthop Relat Res Apr;(289):166.
173. Center JR, Bliuc D, Nguyen TV, Eisman JA (2007) Risk of subsequent fracture after low-trauma fracture in men and women. JAMA 297:387.
174. Nguyen TV, Sambrook PN, Eisman JA (1998) Bone loss, physical activity, and weight change in elderly women: the Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study. J Bone Miner Res 13:1458.
175. Albrand G, Munoz F, Sornay-Rendu E, et al. (2003) Independent predictors of all osteoporosis-related fractures in healthy postmenopausal women: the OFELY study. Bone 32:78.
176. Sato Y, Iwamoto J, Kanoko T, Satoh K (2005) Amelioration of osteoporosis and hypovitaminosis D by sunlight exposure in hospitalized, elderly women with Alzheimer's disease: a randomized controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res 20:1327.
177. Forwood MR, Baxter-Jones AD, Beck TJ, et al. (2006) Physical activity and strength of the femoral neck during the adolescent growth spurt: a longitudinal analysis. Bone 38:576.
178. Linden C, Ahlborg HG, Besjakov J, et al. (2006) A school curriculum-based exercise program increases bone mineral accrual and bone size in prepubertal girls: two-year data from the pediatric osteoporosis prevention (POP) study. J Bone Miner Res 21:829.
179. Schwenkglenks M, Lippuner K, Hauselmann HJ, Szucs TD (2005) A model of osteoporosis impact in
Switzerland 2000-2020. Osteoporos Int 16:659.
180. Meisinger C, Wildner M, Stieber J, et al. (2002) Epidemiology of limb fractures. Orthopade 31:92.
181. Borgstrom F, Sobocki P, Strom O, Jonsson B (2007) The societal burden of osteoporosis in Sweden. Bone 40:1602.
182. Lonnroos E, Kautiainen H, Karppi P, et al. (2006) Increased incidence of hip fractures. A population based- study in Finland. Bone 39:623.
183. Giversen IM (2006) Time trends of age-adjusted incidence rates of first hip fractures: a register-based study among older people in Viborg County, Denmark, 1987-1997. Osteoporos Int 17:552.
184. Hernandez JL, Olmos JM, Alonso MA, et al. (2006) Trend in hip fracture epidemiology over a 14-year period in a Spanish population. Osteoporos Int 17:464.
185. Paspati I, Galanos A, Lyritis GP (1998) Hip fracture epidemiology in Greece during 1977-1992. Calcif Tissue Int 62:542.
186. Clark P, Cons-Molina F, Deleze M, et al. (2009) The prevalence of radiographic vertebral fractures in Latin American countries: the Latin American Vertebral Osteoporosis Study (LAVOS). Osteoporos Int 20:275.
187. Siqueira FV, Facchini LA, Hallal PC (2005) The burden of fractures in Brazil: a population-based study. Bone 37:261.
188. Clark P, Lavielle P, Franco-Marina F, et al. (2005) Incidence rates and life-time risk of hip fractures in Mexicans over 50 years of age: a population-based study. Osteoporos Int 16:2025.
189. Clark P, Carlos F, Barrera C, et al. (2008) Direct costs of osteoporosis and hip fracture: An analysis for the Mexican healthcare system. Osteoporos Int 19:269.
190. Cauley JA, Lui LY, Stone KL, et al. (2005) Longitudinal study of changes in hip bone mineral density in Caucasian and African-American women. J Am Geriatr Soc 53:183.
191. Araujo DV, Oliveira JH, Bracco OL (2005) Custo da fratura osteoporótica de fêmur no Sistema Suplementar de Saúde Brasileiro. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 49:897.
192. Zabaglia SF, Costa-Paiva LH, Pinto-Neto AM (2001) Is tubal ligation a risk factor for a reduction of bone mineral density in postmenopausal women? RGBO 23:621.
193. Shatrugna V, Kulkarni B, Kumar PA, et al. (2005) Bone status of Indian women from a low-income group and its relationship to the nutritional status. Osteoporos Int 16:1827.
194. Maravic M, Le Bihan C, Landais P, Fardellone P (2005) Incidence and cost of osteoporotic fractures in France during 2001. A methodological approach by the national hospital database. Osteoporos Int 16:1475.
195. Haussler B, Gothe H, Gol D, et al. (2007) Epidemiology, treatment and costs of osteoporosis in Germany-- the BoneEVA Study. Osteoporos Int 18:77.
196. Diaz Curiel M, Garcia JJ, Carrasco JL, et al. (2001) Prevalencia de osteoporosis determinada por densitometría en la población femenina española. Med Clin (Barc) 116:86.
197. Gimeno A, Guanabens N, Monegal A, Peris P (2005) Consulta de...osteoporosis. Prous Science, Barcelona.
198. Lippuner K, Golder M, Greiner R (2005) Epidemiology and direct medical costs of osteoporotic fractures in men and women in Switzerland. Osteoporos Int 16 Suppl 2:S8.
199. van Staa TP, Dennison EM, Leufkens HG, Cooper C (2001) Epidemiology of fractures in England and Wales. Bone 29:517.
200. Dennison E, Cole Z, Cooper C (2005) Diagnosis and epidemiology of osteoporosis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 17:456.
201. Burge RT (2001) The cost of osteoporotic fractures in the UK: Projections for 2000-2020. Journal of Medical Economics 4:51.
202. Hagino H, Katagiri H, Okano T, et al. (2005) Increasing incidence of hip fracture in Tottori Prefecture, Japan: trend from 1986 to 2001. Osteoporos Int 16:1963.
203. De Laet C, Kanis JA, Oden A, et al. (2005) Body mass index as a predictor of fracture risk: a meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int 16:1330.
204. Legroux-Gerot I, Vignau J, Collier F, Cortet B (2005) Bone loss associated with anorexia nervosa. Joint Bone Spine 72:489.
205. Thijssen JH (2006) Gene polymorphisms involved in the regulation of bone quality. Gynecol Endocrinol 22:131.
206. Kanis JA, Johansson H, Oden A, et al. (2004) A meta-analysis of prior corticosteroid use and fracture risk. J Bone Miner Res 19:893.
207. Yang YX, Lewis JD, Epstein S, Metz DC (2006) Long-term proton pump inhibitor therapy and risk of hip fracture. JAMA 296:2947.
208. Siris E and Delmas PD (2008) Assessment of 10-year absolute fracture risk: a new paradigm with worldwide application. Osteoporos Int 19:383.
209. Kanis JA, Johnell O, Oden A, et al. (2008) FRAXtrade mark and the assessment of fracture probability in men and women from the UK. Osteoporos Int 19:385.
210. Fujiwara S, Nakamura T, Orimo H, et al. (2008) Development and application of a Japanese model of the
WHO fracture risk assessment tool (FRAXtrade mark). Osteoporos Int 19:429.
211. Tosteson AN, Melton LJ, 3rd, Dawson-Hughes B, et al. (2008) Cost-effective osteoporosis treatment thresholds: the United States perspective. Osteoporos Int 19:437.
212. Dawson-Hughes B, Tosteson AN, Melton LJ, 3rd, et al. (2008) Implications of absolute fracture risk assessment for osteoporosis practice guidelines in the USA. Osteoporos Int 19:449.
213. Leslie WD (2008) Absolute fracture risk reporting in clinical practice: A physician-centered survey. Osteoporos Int 19:459.
214. Johnell O and Kanis JA (2006) An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporos Int 17:1726.
215. Ahmadi-Abhari S, Moayyeri A, Abolhassani F (2007) Burden of hip fracture in Iran. Calcif Tissue Int 80:147.
216. Rabenda V, Mertens R, Fabri V, et al. (2008) Adherence to bisphosphonates therapy and hip fracture risk in osteoporotic women. Osteoporos Int 19:811.
217. Moayyeri A, Luben RN, Bingham SA, et al. (2008) Measured height loss predicts fractures in middle-aged and older men and women: The EPIC-Norfolk prospective population study. J Bone Miner Res 23:425.
218. Roux C, Fechtenbaum J, Kolta S, et al. (2007) Mild prevalent and incident vertebral fractures are risk factors for new fractures. Osteoporos Int 18:1617.
219. Bubshait D and Sadat-Ali M (2007) Economic implications of osteoporosis-related femoral fractures in Saudi Arabian society. Calcif Tissue Int 81:455.
220. Black DM, Delmas PD, Eastell R, et al. for the HORIZON Pivotal Fracture Trial (2007) Once-Yearly Zoledronic Acid for Treatment of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 356:1809.
222. Mithal A. Wahl DA, Bonjour J-P, et al. (2009) Global vitamin D status and determinants of hypovitaminosis D. Osteoporos Int 20:1807.
223. China Health Promotion Foundation (2008) White Paper China 2008, Osteoporosis a Summary Statement of China.
224. Luo L and Xu L (2005) Analysis of direct economic burden of osteoporotic hip fracture and its influence factors. Chinese Journal of Epidemiology (Vol.9).
225. Zhu H, Zhang Y, Ge H, et al. (2004) Investigation of milk product consuming and the prevalence of spine fracture in elderly women. Proceeding of the 3rd. Shanghai Osteoporosis Symposium 7:146.
226. Wang P, Wang P, Tang Y, Cai D (2006) 2000-2004 statistics of cost of the management of osteoporotic fracture. Chinese Journal of Osteoporosis (Vol.3).
227. Huang Y, Zhu B, Zhang H (2005) Statistics and analysis of the cost of inpatient hip fracture management (1998-2003). Chinese Journal of Osteoporosis (Vol.2).
228. Fu S, Hu J, Luo S, Xu Y (2003) Statistics of the cost of inpatient osteoporotic fracture management (1996-2001). Chinese Journal of Osteoporosis 9:137.
229. Shen Q, Xie Q, Xia H (2006) Statistics of primary osteoporotic fracture management in 2003. Chinese Journal of Osteoporosis (Vol. 2).
230. Chie WC, Yang RS, Liu JP, Tsai KS (2004) High incidence rate of hip fracture in Taiwan: Estimated from a nationwide health insurance database. Osteoporos Int 15:998.
231. Wang Y, Tao Y, Hyman ME, et al. (2009) Osteoporosis in China. Osteoporos Int 20:1651.
232. Yang NP, Deng CY, Chou YJ, et al. (2006) Estimated prevalence of osteoporosis from a Nationwide Health Insurance database in Taiwan. Health Policy 75:329.
233. Shao CJ, Hsieh YH, Tsai CH, Lai KA (2009) A nationwide seven-year trend of hip fractures in the elderly population of Taiwan. Bone 44:125.
234. Koh LK, Saw SM, Lee JJ, et al. (2001) National Working Committee on Osteoporosis. Hip fracture incidence rates in Singapore 1991-1998. Osteoporos Int 12:311.
235. Morales-Torres J, Gutierrez-Urena S, Osteoporosis Committee of Pan-American League of Associations of Rheumatology (PANLAR) (2004) The burden of osteoporosis in Latin America. Osteoporos Int 15:625.
236. Riera-Espinoza G (2009) Epidemiology of osteoporosis in Latin America 2008. Salud Publica Mes 51 (Suppl1):S52.
237. Schurman l, Bagur A, Claus-Hermberg H, et al. (2007) Guías para diagnóstico, prevención y tratamiento de la osteoporosis. Actual Osteol 3:117 and Rev Arg osteol 6:27.
238. Spivacow FR and Sanchez A (2010) Epidemiology, costs, and burden of osteoporosis in Argentina, 2009. Arch Osteoporos 5:1.
239. Spivacow FR (2001) Epidemiology of osteoporotic fractures. In: Zanchetta JR and Talbot J (eds) Osteoporosis, Fisiologia, Diagnostico, Prevencion y Tratamiento. Editorial Medica Panamericana, Buenos Aires, p 415.
240. Kanis JA (2007) WHO Technical Report, University of Sheffield, UK: 66.
242. Bischoff-Ferrari HA, Dawson-Hughes B, Staehelin HB, et al. (2009) Fall prevention with supplemental and active forms of vitamin D: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Br Med J 339:b3692.
243. Vestergaard P, Rejnmark L, Mosekilde L (2006). Anxiolytics, sedatives,
antidepressants, neuroleptics and the risk of fracture. Osteoporos Int. 17:807-816
244. Eiben G, Dey DK, Rothenberg E, Steen B, Björkelund C, Bengtsson C, Lissner L (2005). Obesity in 70-year-old Swedes: secular changes over 30 years. Int J Obes (Lond) 29:810-817
245. S. Boonen & D. A. Wahl & L. Nauroy et al. (2011) Balloon kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty in the management of vertebral compression fractures. Osteoporos Int 22:2915–2934
246. Eastern European & Central Asian Regional Audit: Epidemiology, costs & burd
en of osteoporosis in 2010. International Osteoporosis Foundation. 2010. www.iofbonehealth.org/eastern-european-central-asian-audit
248. Baddoura R, Hoteit M, El-Hajj Fuleihan G (in press). Osteoporotic fractures, DXA and fracture risk assessment: meeting future challenges in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. J Clin Densitom 2011 Aug 10
249. MohyTaha, MD, (2011) Prevalence of osteoporosis in Middle East systemic literature review, 10th ECOO, April 2011- http://www.scribd.com/doc/53103901/Osteopoorosis-Cairo-April-2011-v1
250. Maalouf G, Wehbe J, Nehme A, Moucharafieh R, Gannage-Yared MH, Chidiac RM, Yaghi Y (2006) Characteristics of hip fracture in Lebanese population. Osteoporos Int 17(suppl.2):S170
251. Bener A et al. (2009) High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in young children in a highly sunny humid country: a global health problem. Minerva Pediatr. Feb; 61(1): 15-22
252. Tuzun S, Eskiyurt N, Akarirmak U, Saridogan M, et al. (2012) Incidence of hip fracture and prevalence of osteoporosis in Turkey: the FRACTURK study. Osteoporos Int. 2012 23(3):949-55
253. Hernlund E, Svedbom A, Ivergard M, Compston J, et. al. Osteoporosis in the European Union: Medical Management, Epidemiology and Economic Burden. A report prepared in collaboration with the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) and the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industry Associations (EFPIA). Arch Osteoporos 2013 8:136
255. Cooley H, Jones G. A population-based study of fracture incidence in southern Tasmania: lifetime fracture risk and evidence for geographic variations within the same country. Osteoporos Int. 2001;12(2):124-30