Gathering data from 17 countries in the Middle East and Africa as well as Turkey, this landmark report examines epidemiology, costs and burden in individual countries as well as collectively across the region.
The report was launched on October 22, 2011 at the close of the IOF Regionals - 1st Middle East and Africa Osteoporosis Meeting held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- In some countries (for e.g. Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria) the number of hip fractures is projected to quadruple by 2050.
- Solid epidemiological research on osteoporosis and fracture incidence, and related relevant outcomes, is scarce at best.
- Access to densitometry and care is limited in many countries, often only available in urban areas.
- Reimbursement for diagnostics and therapeutics varies widely.
- Level of awareness of osteoporosis among primary healthcare professionals is estimated as poor to medium in many countries.
- Education and lifestyle prevention programmes for the general public are generally lacking.
A primary recommendation of this report is the need for more research to gather the necessary evidence that would aid health authorities to develop comprehensive healthcare policies at all levels.
|Individual Country Reports|
|Executive Summary||English (PDF, 2.57 MB)||Arabic (PDF, 915 KB)|
|Bahrain||English (PDF, 447.2 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 200 KB)|
|Egypt||English (PDF, 428.3 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 184 KB)|
|Iran||English (PDF, 474.3 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 153 KB)|
|Iraq||English (PDF, 224 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 99 KB)|
|Jordan||English (PDF, 749.1 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 247 KB)|
|Kenya||English (PDF, 241.9 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 103 KB)|
|Kuwait||English (PDF, 406.3 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 192 KB)|
|Lebanon||English (PDF, 402.1 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 167 KB)|
|Morocco||English (PDF, 870.2 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 355 KB)|
|Palestine||English (PDF, 261.4 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 118 KB)|
|Qatar||English (PDF, 263 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 129 KB)|
|Saudi Arabia||English (PDF, 560.8 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 260 KB)|
|South Africa||English (PDF, 465.7 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 177 KB)|
|Syria||English (PDF, 370.2 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 112 KB)|
|Tunisia||English (PDF, 357.8 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 133 KB)|
|Turkey||English (PDF, 878.2 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 155 KB)|
|United Arab Emirates||English (PDF, 389.4 KB)||Arabic (PDF, 1.22 MB)|