The 2013 European Guidance for the Diagnosis & Management of Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women, published by the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis (ESCEO) and the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) is an update of the ESCEO Guidance published in 2008.
The Guidance reflects the significant advances in the field over the past five years, including the development of new techniques for measuring bone mineral density, improved methods of assessing fracture risk and new treatments that significantly reduce the risk of fractures.
- European Guidance for the Diagnosis & Management of Osteoporosis in Postmenopausal Women (PDF, 1.21 MB)
- Slide Kit (PDF. 2.46 MB)
The slide kit highlights the following key elements of the Guidance:
- Statistics related to cost and prevalence, morbidity and mortality in Europe
- Diagnostic guidelines and risk factors
- Management algorithm for the assessment of fracture risk with FRAX
- Intervention thresholds
- Assessment of fracture risk with limited or unlimited access to BMD using DXA
- General management regarding mobility and falls
- Nutrition recommendations
- Diagnostic work-up of patients with osteoporosis
- Anti-fracture efficacy of major interventions for postmenopausal osteoporosis